Thursday, January 07, 2010

it's twenty ten....

...not two-thousand ten.  You didn't graduate in nineteen-thousand ninety-seven, did you?  Didn't think so.

So it's a new year.  The time of summation lists of a year gone by and resolutions for the year to come.  I'd make you a list, perhaps of some good music from twenty nine (??..ok, so maybe the pronunciation thing doesn't work.), or movies (might have gone to the theater once last year), or books (if it isn't Arch. related then I haven't read it, and I sure as hell don't want to rank them), but quite honestly I am not in the mood for lists today.  Leaning more toward the year to come.  I can't recall ever completely following through on a resolution, so I better not jinx any new plans by calling them one.  Let's just say that this year will be the year that I step out into the unknown.

Goals have been set for the short-term, but that is it.  Some are the same goals that couldn't be completed in 2009 for whatever reason, but the new year has sparked new motivation to move on.  Goal #1 is my thesis project.  It has been hanging around too long and is no longer welcome here.  It must go.  As stated before, my motivation to complete it has been lacking at times....most of the time.

In the last month or so, I have also been motivated to begin running again.  The urge appeared to happen on a whim, most likely a culprit of distraction from my thesis.  "But running is good, it couldn't hurt to add some....any....motivation to your daily life" was my reasoning.  So I have been running again.  Aside from the running associated with my time as a rower, I really haven't done much of it since my high school cross country days.  12+ years and 35-40 lbs later, running isn't as easy at it once was.  However, it is coming back, and it is feeling good....er, better each time.  I have noticed it helps to be able to track yourself and see your progress.  Very motivating.

So....with my thesis motivation waning and my running motivation on the rise, I have decided in this new year to combine these efforts.  On February 6, 2010 there is a race in Savannah.  The place I need to be at the completion of my thesis in order to finalize everything, getting approval signatures and such.  My goal is to be there so that I can run in the Critz Tybee Run.

If for whatever reason, I cannot be in Savannah, there is also a race in Pensacola, the Double Bridge Run.  I will continue my run training and prepare for either of these races....the catch is that if I am not done with my project by then, I cannot run.  My running is already mapped out for the month of January, so that cannot waiver....and now, my completion date for this project cannot either, or my efforts will have been for not.  Attaching my competitive side to this is bound to work, right?

I am very aware that my past attempts at motivation have been mute.  I have tried nearly everything I can think of, and nothing has worked.  The latest attempt, for instance, I haven't had a hair cut since October, or a shave since around Thanksgiving.  I have horrible facial hair once it exceeds 5pm stubble.  It is very patchy and sad.  Knowing this I have put my appearance on the line until I finish.  It has helped to some extent, because its so freakin' uncomfortable (and ugly), but my thoughts that it would deter me from public venues has not been as successful as intended.  So...I hope this running thing works.  Really ready to move on, and shave.

Well, until next time....

....ok, fine, maybe just a quick little list of "good stuff I really enjoyed" during 2009.

Books:
1. How to See Yourself as You Really Are
2. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success

Movie:
1. (500) Days of Summer

Albums:
1. Hey Marseilles - To Travels and Trunks
2. Matt and Kim - Grand
3. Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King
4. Regina Spektor - Far
Too close to call Runners-up:
Norah Jones - The Fall
(500) Days...Soundtrack
Schuyler Fisk - The Good Stuff

Check 'em out! Happy New Year! Ok, bye.

No comments: