Thursday, April 28, 2005

Guinea Pig No More

Being the oldest of three boys in my family, I must say that I am happy to be the oldest, simply because, well.... you're the oldest, and that kicks ass. But like everything else in life, it has it's disadvantages as well. The largest of these disadvantages is that your parents raise you during their rookie season, not letting you do anything, and basically making you a guinea pig for every new step of your life. The most notable steps are the first to have a curfew, first to drive, first to date, first to graduate high school, first to move away from home, etc., all of which your parents govern with an iron fist, all the while finding extra pleasure in embarrassing you at every possible moment. Well, I have personally witnessed the decline in parental strictness and the decline in need to embarrass, from my parents as my younger brothers have gone through the same things I did. I find the hypocrisy frustrating, but it's part of life I suppose, and I won't hold it against them forever.

One thing that I have not exactly been looking forward to is the day when my parents get to deal with their first wedding, first wife, first in-laws, etc. I don't know why I dread it, I guess just because it's next in line of the steps of life, and I know it's coming..... eventually.

As of last night, I am happy to announce that I will no longer be the guinea pig for the next few steps. The middle of us brothers, Matthew, has decided to step up and be the guinea pig, as he told me that he will be proposing to his girlfriend Elise tomorrow. Shhh! It's a secret. (but since no one reads this anyway, I doubt keeping it a secret until tomorrow will be a problem.)

I am very happy for the both of them, but also happy that I am not the first to jump. It will be quite interesting to see how the parents react to this one. I will be watching with a keen eye and taking notes to make sure my experience is more lax when the time comes, or else...

Now, I suppose it's time to plan the first bachelor's party. <>

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Getting married? Is his girlfriend pregnant?

domforth said...

Bachelor party sounds like it could be a blast - where's the party gonna be at?!

zachary said...

Well, it's official. That crazy woman said 'no'. Ok, I obviously can't fool you, she said 'yes'.

Yay, inlaws!

Anonymous said...

good this i didn't read this when you wrote it!